Thursday 29 September 2011

The Applique of my Eye


Way back in May my good friend in Aus-land sent me a voucher for The Make Lounge. I ummed and ahhed for ages over which of their fabulous courses to take and eventually picked Machine Embroidery & Applique. I'm so glad I did.

Here are my 3 final pieces that I took home after the evening course. And I have to say I am pretty pleased with how they turned out. The course was set out perfectly- small class size, lots of sewing machines and ironing boards, well paced activities with room for taking your own angle on the tasks and, most importantly, the most glorious selection of fabrics to play with. 

I am so chuffed with my tea cup and I can't believe how perfectly it fits the embroidery hoop I've had stashed away. This has gone straight up on the craft room wall. The cut out technique used here is definitely one I will use again. Here's a close up:


As soon as we sat down I spotted this city scape fabric so I knew I had to use it in some way. 

On the course they suggest that the applique samples could be made into coasters so I have used this fabric to make one for my new office. Just need to finish stitching up the sides and it will be ready to show off at work!


I am not 100% sure what I am going to do with the final piece but I think I might frame it. I really like the way it looks like russian dolls and I even managed to give the middle one a little machine embroidered crown.


What an amazing birthday gift- thank you so much Helen B! I am now so glad I have kept hold of all those little scraps of fabric- I think the heat n bond will be coming out this weekend...

Speaking of Helens and applique- I was able to give my cousin her birthday cushion when she came to visit last weekend and I am pleased to say she liked it.

The background fabric is a lovely, soft herringbone patterned flannel I got on etsy and the flower applique has been cut from Slim's families old camping curtains. Upcycling, recycling and reusing does make me happy.

Front detail
Back
Close up detail on back
I don't know if you can see it on the pictures but the flowers have been outlined in gold thread. It was certainly a labour of love and it's a good thing there were so many episodes of The Sopranos left to watch but I'm really glad I persevered because the detail really makes it special (so says me..) 

That about wraps up my craftiness this week but I have been planning my next set of cushions which have been commissioned by my mum. She has picked some of my favourite fabrics and so I know I will enjoy coming up with some ideas for them. 

Hope you are all enjoying the beautiful sunshine in the UK x



3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, thanks for the great post, I'm pleased you enjoyed the class. The tea cup has to be my favorite - it looks great in the hoop. Well done, a brilliant job on you first dabble into machine embroidery! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Applique extrordinaire - they look great! I also really love the back detail on your cushion, it looks so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the teacup hoop art! Adorable, just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete