Thursday 11 August 2011

There's no such thing as too many books...

...Or confessions of a bibliophile

And I have the mug to prove it!

I don't know where I would be without books. I certainly wouldn't have a degree in English Literature. Then there's the 5 years where I would have been unemployed instead of working in Waterstone's. And now if it wasn't for the wonderful properties of fiction I would be bored out of my tiny mind during my 4 hours of commuting everyday. That's a lot of reading. But what could be better than having Margaret Atwood, Carol Shields or Alice Munro as your travelling companions?

Near my house in Brighton there is a little second hand bookshop which I find impossible to walk past.


The phrase 'like a child in a sweetshop' springs to mind. It is in here that I have found my papery friends for the last 2 months. I am nearly through my last batch and was planning a little visit when an internet present arrived. I couldn't remember what I had ordered but it was the most wonderful surprise:



Two books written by dear friends of mine! I was pleased as punch and proud as a peacock and other things beginning with 'p'... I started Luke and Jon this morning and, biased or not, was disgruntled to arrive at Victoria before finishing my chapter.

You can read more about Gemma's work on the Speak to Strangers blog and her latest project Look Up at the Sky London, and about Robert's writing at Luke and Jon and his music at The Library Trust.

I feel very lucky to know such talented people.

xx

"I read for pleasure and that is the moment I learn the most."
— Margaret Atwood




No comments:

Post a Comment